Reporting to the Interim Director of Special Events, the Assistant Director of Special Events is part of a team responsible for the conceptualization and implementation of the transition of Institutional Advancement’s event process. This includes events and programs, both virtual and in-person, that are rooted in strategic lifecycle-based planning for the Haverford community in seamless alignment with the College’s fundraising efforts.
The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Director of Special Events include strategically planning and efficiently executing events which meet the goals of the College. This work can be completed in person, or remotely, but will follow a hybrid work model, while engaging our constituents through on campus, regional/national/international, and virtual initiatives. This position will require evening and weekend availability.
The role will require working closely with other divisions within Institutional Advancement to
manage and execute events which help partners in furthering their mission. The divisions are as follows:
- With the rest of the Special Events and Alumni and Family Engagement teams, this role will plan and execute the following events:
- Move-in Day.
- Family & Friends Weekend.
- Alumni Weekend- with a focus on planning and programming for our youngest alumni.
- Alumni and Family Relations events, including but not limited to:
- Regional events organized by alumni, parents, or friends on a volunteer basis.
- Affinity group events.
- Events involving one of the centers (Center for Career and Professional Advising, Center for Peace and Global Citizenship, amongst others) which include both students and alumni.
- Donor Relations & Stewardship events including but not limited to:
- Scholar Celebration, Academic Symposia, Scholarship Donor Recognition Lunch, Memorial and/or Tribute Receptions, Dedications (buildings, trees, artwork).
- Hire and train student interns for large-scale on campus events.
- Together with the Interim Director of Special Events and the entire Alumni and Constituent Engagement (ACE) team (Advancement Communications, Alumni and Family Engagement/AFE, Special Events, and Volunteer Development) and all of Institutional Advancement, consider the ways in which constituents currently engage with the College and with one another through events.
- Working with the entire Special Events team, evaluate and refresh existing programs. Creatively plan events which encourage diverse audiences to connect with the College and with each other using industry best practices for DEIA engagement. Execute programming to strengthen alumni engagement within the context of the alumni/constituent lifecycle and in alignment with fundraising efforts. Evaluate and adjust programming on an ongoing basis to maximize impact and engagement. Use new and existing technologies to help alumni, parents, and friends engage with the College meaningfully in the virtual sphere.
- Collaborate with Advancement Communications to ensure that all invitations, web pages, and collateral material for events meet College standards and follow best practices. Responsible for supervision of the creation of registration forms on appropriate platforms.
- Work with Advancement Operations to determine best practices for event-related data collection and management.
- Using appropriate market research (e.g., focus groups, surveys, 1-1 interviews), seek alumni input and feedback. Work to ensure that data is appropriately tracked.
- Engage with faculty to find opportunities for them to share their research with constituents.
- Assist with the execution of College-sponsored regional and on-campus events and programming.
- Ensure IA staff and other campus partners are aware of events in order to streamline staffing, attendance, and visibility of such activities.
- Other on and off campus duties as assigned.
- Serve as project manager for ACE projects as assigned.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as guided by Interim Director of Special Events.
- Remain current on best practices in special events through independent study, participation in group seminars and workshops, as well as through one-on-one training.
This position’s work location/hours will follow that of the College and Institutional Advancement’s policies and procedures.
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two to four years of alumni relations, event planning, and/or advancement experience preferred.
- Knowledge of fundraising and annual giving necessary.
- Excellent management, organization, communication, and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to work with a larger team on projects as needed.
- Ability to work within structured environment to meet many calendar deadlines.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge, and Microsoft Office preferred.
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (to include a booster dose when eligible), and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record Check is required.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- Some travel may be required.
Haverford College is consistently ranked among the top 20 undergraduate liberal arts colleges in the United States. Located outside Philadelphia, it is highly regarded for its rigorous and intensely personal undergraduate education, which is delivered in a beautiful arboretum setting and anchored in its Honor Code. The vast majority of students live on campus and are active in athletics, student clubs, internships, service activities and self-governance. Haverford was founded by Quakers in 1833, who believed that academic excellence, offered in a setting of tolerance and mutual respect, would serve a larger goal of “educating the whole person.” While Haverford is nonsectarian today, those same values continue to inspire and distinguish its students and alumni.
The Institutional Advancement Division propels Haverford’s mission and values through inspired engagement and philanthropy. This Division supports the strengthening of the College’s values-based liberal arts education through its relationships with alumni, parents/families and friends, and by building Haverford’s reputation as a remarkable institution of higher learning. Particularly in the case of Haverford alumni, their relationships with the College and their fellow alumni are viewed as lifelong and the Institutional Advancement Division strives to enrich them through different engagement and volunteer opportunities.
This is an exciting time as Haverford College is in the midst of developing a new strategic plan that will position the College for its next decade and lead up to its 200th anniversary. Expecting to conclude in the next six months, this collaborative community-wide effort will set the institutional aspirations and priorities that will inform the next comprehensive campaign. In tandem with the development of Haverford’s new strategic plan, Institutional Advancement has created a data-informed multi-year and multifaceted plan that undergirds growing the Division, recalibrating several departments, adding new functions, and preparing for a robust campaign. Over the next two years, Institutional Advancement will expand its staffing between 25-40%, across multiple areas (Philanthropy, Alumni and Constituent Engagement, Advancement Services, and Charitable Gift Planning), and at all levels of its operations, such as Advancement Communications, Volunteer Recruitment and Development, Principal Gifts, and Analytics and Predictive Modeling. Enthusiastic, high-caliber professionals are sought to join the existing team of excellent colleagues and help propel Haverford forward through the launch of the comprehensive campaign and fulfillment of Institutional Advancement’s multi-year and multifaceted plan.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://www.haverford.edu/.