The Director of Advancement & Enrollment Management is responsible for the oversight of both student enrollment and development efforts for the school. Student enrollment includes enrollment management oversight, student recruitment, financial aid, and re-enrollment/retention efforts. The Director oversees the administration of the admission, financial aid, and advancement budgets; all admission and fundraising processes, records, events and constituent volunteer efforts; and all recruitment, retention, enrollment, and matriculation efforts, up to welcoming new families to the school in September. In addition, the Director directs development efforts, communications, and constituent/public relations programs for the school. The Director of Advancement & Enrollment is attentive to the school’s public presence in all its manifestations and is responsible for the school’s website. These activities create a climate for enrollment and development viability that supports the mission and sustainability of the school.
- Coordinates the external and internal marketing efforts and initiatives that attract and retain students in sufficient numbers to support programs of the school.
- Advises the Principal on strategic retention. This includes initiating an early re-registration process, creating/enhancing a culture of community through school activities, and ensuring that the entire community (parents, faculty, staff, etc.) understands its role in the retention of current students.
- Develops and implements strategic marketing ideas. Formulates annual Admission and Enrollment Action Plans with goals and objectives based on data related to admission and enrollment. Presents statistical trend information and enrollment projections to senior staff and faculty.
- Attends meetings with the Pastor and Administration when appropriate and is involved in strategic planning and keeping the board fully apprised of the school’s admission, financial aid, and marketing endeavors.
- Develops a system for data collection and oversees data management. Updates admission and incoming student database in order to provide weekly, monthly, and annual reports and analysis as they relate to admissions and enrollment.
- Develops a research agenda to better understand students and families persisting through the admission phases (prospect, inquiry, visitors, applicant, acceptance, newly enrolling), and those not persisting.
- Oversees all on-campus visitation programs including Open Houses, interviews, and accepted student programs.
- Oversees the management of all admission publications and admission process communications, including work on the production of the school’s viewbook.
- Oversees the volunteer network of Admission representatives, working closely with key volunteers.
- Builds, maintains, and encourages relationships with feeder parishes, preschools and other neighboring schools and identifies new opportunities for outreach.
- Is an integral leader for the school community and participates fully in daily community life of the school.
Development and Fundraising
- Plans, manages, and implements all fundraising (revenue-based) and friend raising (relationship-based) initiatives.
- Plans, manages, and implements annual giving, major gifts, and events. This includes but is not limited to prospect identification and research, cultivation, solicitation, gift processing, acknowledgements, and stewardship. This may include some travel for face-to-face visits and events with prospects and donors.
- Educates and engages key volunteers (i.e., Parents Association) in implementing and executing mission-based fundraising.
- Works to create and support a culture of philanthropy within the school.
- Creates and/or oversees database and data management for reports and analysis as they relate to development. Updates and maintains the alumni and past parent databases.
- Develops processes and procedures for advancement operations.
- Promotes understanding and support of the school’s vision, mission statements and objectives.
- Serves as the staff liaison for the enrollment and development committees of the board to help inform and educate on trends and projections.
- Aids in setting school priorities to meet annual goals.
- Reports on progress of goals and objectives.
- Sets and maintains professional writing and design standards for school communications. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Website, social media and email marketing creative direction and production.
- Print publications including school newsletter/magazine, marketing materials, giving program brochures, and direct mail pieces.
- Social media updates and communications.
- Media relations including advertising and press releases in local newspapers, local media coverage of school events.
- Serves as brand ambassador of the school.
The Director of Advancement & Enrollment Management must have an understanding of and passion for the goals and mission of the Diocese of Paterson Catholic Schools and a commitment to Catholic education. The ideal candidate is an experienced advancement strategist and relationship builder with the ability to drive a fundraising and enrollment management program to support the strategic direction of the School. Effectively articulating specific fundraising goals and motivating others including volunteers to achieve those goals will be essential to the success of the incoming Director. The successful candidate will be flexible and compassionate to address the practicalities of a growing fundraising and enrollment program, along with the creativity and persistence required to elicit new thinking and change.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience preferred in Admissions or Development; volunteer management and board experience a plus; experience in a not-for-profit environment, parochial, independent school is preferred.
- Demonstrated success in admissions and/or development, preferably in an education setting.
- Ability to appreciate and communicate a passion for Catholic elementary education.
- Demonstrated leadership and effectiveness in developing and accomplishing organizational goals.
- Broad exposure to all facets of development, including annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, capital campaign planning and implementation, and data management and analysis.
- Understanding of enrollment management, marketing, public relations, and advertising.
- Ability to build a team, effectively recruit and manage volunteers.
- Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and execute strategic plans, the ability to interact confidently and effectively with school staff, students, donors, trustees (board members), school administration, the media, and alumni.
- Must be a self-starter with an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, and ability to set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and social media is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Be a practicing Catholic.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Willing and able to travel; must be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends as needed.
The Diocese of Paterson comprises New Jersey’s three northwest counties of Morris, Passaic, and Sussex and counts some 430,000 Catholics in a rich tapestry of 109 parishes where Mass is offered every Sunday in fourteen different languages and five of the Church’s Eastern Rites. On April 15, 2020, Pope Francis named Father Kevin J. Sweeney, a Brooklyn diocesan priest, as eighth Bishop of Paterson.
In the Diocese of Paterson, over 5,500 students are enrolled in one of the 18 Catholic Schools in pre-K, elementary, and secondary schools. All elementary and secondary schools in the Diocese of Paterson have earned accreditation, several are STEM certified and others are nationally recognized Blue Ribbon Schools. Students score significantly above national averages on standardized tests, and the annual college acceptance rate is 99%. The mission of the Diocese of Paterson Catholic Schools is to develop communities that are Christ-centered, academically excellent and welcoming, that enable students to be life-long learners and good citizens of the world.
St. Gerard Majella School, an elementary school in the Diocese of Paterson, is searching for a Director of Advancement & Enrollment Management to plan, coordinate, and manage marketing, enrollment, and fundraising programs.
For additional information on the Diocese of Paterson Catholic Schools, please visit their website at https://www.patdioschools.org/.