The Director of Annual Giving reports to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) and manages a team of Annual Fund Giving Officers. Primary responsibilities are to lead the Mercersburg Annual Fund, support its volunteers, and solicit leadership gifts to the Annual Fund. In addition, this individual works closely with other key members of the Advancement and Alumni Relations staff to meet mutual goals.
- Leads a team to meet Mercersburg’s Annual Fund goals.
- Creates, monitors, and evaluates the annual plan, as well as short- and long-term goals.
- Provides status reports for internal and external distribution.
- Directs all staff activity relating to the Mercersburg Annual Fund.
- Develops direct mail, social media and digital solicitation plans.
- Secures annual gifts through personal solicitation and pledge fulfillment outreach.
- Assigns potential donors to appropriate staff and volunteer solicitors.
- Leads solicitation and outreach efforts for the William Mann Irvine Society, the school’s annual leadership giving society.
- Provides direction and assistance for special programs such as phonathons, reunions, senior class gift, Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC), etc.
- Recruits, trains, and supports volunteers who demonstrate the interest, ability and commitment to advance the Mercersburg Annual Fund including: White Key giving committee, the Giving Committee of the Alumni Council, Class Agents, and Reunion Chairs.
- With support from the Chief Development Officer (CDO), creates all marketing materials, appeal letters, online solicitations, pledge reminders, acknowledgement letters, etc.
- Implements appropriate donor recognition programs for young alumni and leadership donors to the Mercersburg Annual Fund.
- Writes for school publications to promote Annual Fund priorities.
- Supports activities, initiatives, and events sponsored by the Office of Advancement and Alumni Relations as needed.
- Five years of demonstrated success as a fundraiser and program manager. Transferable experiences will be considered but preference will be given to candidates whose success in fundraising has been in project-oriented work and/or the education community.
- Preferred experience in supporting a robust annual giving program increasing parent and alumni engagement, reunion giving, and leadership annual gifts.
- A disciplined, results-oriented, self-starter, demonstrating initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Persuasive communication skills in writing, in-person, and over the telephone.
- Outstanding listening and analytical skills.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to be knowledgeable and articulate in stating Mercersburg Academy’s mission and vision, and the case for support of its priorities.
- Ability to appropriately manage highly confidential information.
- A creative, good-natured team member with demonstrated collaborative and proactive manners.
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail.
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite, internet, email, scheduling, and database software programs).
- The energy and ability to travel regularly. Flexibility to work weekends, early mornings, and evenings at various on and off campus special events.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Mercersburg Academy is an independent coeducational college-preparatory boarding and day school for grades 9-12 and postgraduates. Mercersburg is a carefully constructed environment that allows young people to navigate their teenage years unfettered but appropriately supervised. Mercersburg has more than 125 years of perfecting what it means to be a proving ground for college and life—a place for students to grow, develop, and define themselves. With students from 27 states and 39 countries, Mercersburg is a microcosm of our global community, with diversity of ethnicity, culture, and thought. The beautiful 300-acre campus offers impressive facilities, 179 academic courses, 27 varsity sports, nine music, dance, and theatre ensembles, 41 clubs and organizations, an outdoor education program, and a global travel program. The faculty have dedicated their professional careers to working with adolescents, and the students discover who they are and graduate inspired to change the world.
The mission at Mercersburg Academy is to embrace the values of hard work, character, and community while learning to balance independence with interdependence and individual humility with collective pride. Mercersburg Academy students commit to a life of learning, seek to understand the spiritual nature of human existence, and develop a determination to lead and serve the world.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://www.mercersburg.edu/.