Reporting to the Executive Director of Advancement, the Director of Development & Partnerships will embrace Malvern’s mission and core values in all facets of the development process and coach, guide and mentor others to do the same. The Director will apply strategic leadership, vision, and creative thinking to design and execute a comprehensive development program in support of Malvern Prep’s ambitious aspirations.The incoming Director will be tasked with strengthening the operational infrastructure within the Office of Development while staffing the Executive Director of Advancement as well as the Head of School on matters related to development. The Director will lead the development team to initiate, manage and implement programs designed to attract donors who want to make a difference at Malvern Prep. While collaborating closely with the Director of Marketing and the Director of Admissions, the Director will deliver an integrated and innovative approach to school advancement.
- Under the direction of the Executive Director of Advancement, sets priorities with clear goals and objectives for the development department, building a strong operation with a donor-centric focus.
- Enhances program infrastructure; trains, supports and provides management for a current staff of three including: Director of Annual and Leadership Giving, Director of Alumni and Parent Relations and Development Database Manager.
- Implements a metric-driven environment; positively managing the team to meet goals and achieve measurable effective outcomes.
- Builds strong relationships with alumni, parents, and other potential supporters; communicates both Malvern’s commitment to its enduring traditions and its exciting vision for the future – tailoring those messages as necessary to reach different audiences.
- Creates and implements a strong plan for stewardship.
- Develops and implements innovative strategies to improve annual giving among all constituents.
- Develops and implements a robust major gift program, including working closely with Head of School.
- Supports, advises and trains selected members of the Board and Malvern’s Leadership Team in effective outreach to current and potential donors, including how to ask for contributions.
- Implements giving and stewardship strategy for the Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program (EITC).
- Partners with Athletics to provide direction, strategy and implementation for the Friar Club, athletic fundraising.
- Oversees the implementation of a strong alumni relations program, ensuring alumni have the opportunity to give time, talent, and treasure.
- Oversees the use, quality and potential capabilities (including research) of the donor database.
- Plans all types of capital campaigns and major gifts programs by overseeing the completion of a feasibility study and ensuring that the office’s database and research capabilities are reliable.
- Collaborates with Marketing to create development materials, mailings and publications.
- Works closely with the Admissions Office and Finance Department with regard to alumni volunteers, donor identification, financial aid and scholarship fundraising goals.
- Establishes and maintains the budget for the development office; works closely with the Executive Director of Advancement and Director of Financial Affairs in coordinating gift reporting, and restrictions while ensuring all directed gifts are handled to donor’s specific requests.
- Assesses the quality and efficiency of the development process by keeping relevant reports and statistics on all aspects of the function.
- Nurtures and maintains a highly collaborative relationship with the Head of School, Executive Director of Advancement, Board Chair and individual Board and Advancement Committee members, supporting them in all of their fundraising responsibilities and accompanying them on donor visits when appropriate.
- Displays the highest ethical and professional behavior and standards, acting as a role model.
- Continues developing as a professional; acts to maintain professional competencies and upgrades leadership capabilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Advancement.
The Director of Development & Partnerships must have an understanding of and passion for the goals and mission of Malvern Preparatory School and a commitment to the traditions of an all-boys Catholic secondary school based on Augustinian values. The ideal candidate is an experienced fundraising strategist and relationship builder with a history of innovation in fundraising and donor development to support the future of Malvern. The ability to effectively articulate specific, incremental fundraising goals and motivate and manage a team to achieve those goals will be necessary for the success of the incoming Director. It is essential that the candidate have strong leadership skills and the desire to be part of a high achieving team that is open and honest, requires creativity, takes calculated risks and celebrates victories. The successful candidate will be willing to learn and grow, confident in their own knowledge and abilities but also willing to listen to the ideas of others and implement new and innovative programming.
- A demonstrated commitment to the mission of Malvern Preparatory School and an ability to champion the values of an Augustinian education while supporting the success of the students and families served.
- Minimum of ten years of increasingly responsible management positions in development/ fundraising.
- Strong leadership and management skills, both strategic and tactical, and a demonstrated ability to mentor an effective team, while effectively engaging and staffing volunteers.
- Broad exposure to all facets of development, including data management and analysis, annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations and capital campaign planning and implementation.
- Proven experience developing solicitation strategies and a track record of success cultivating and soliciting high-level donors.
- Experience with departmental infrastructure, systematic, database-driven analytics, donor targeting, solicitation and recognition.
- Possess superior communication skills to express (orally and in writing) Malvern Preparatory School’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Capable of building collaborative relationships and effectively navigating across a highly engaged constituent base including students, parents, staff and Board members.
- A creative, open-minded, innovative team builder that inspires and encourages collaboration and open communication.
- Willing to utilize all communication vehicles including face-to-face, phone, letters, email and social media.
- Self-confidence, humility, integrity, warmth and a flexible personal style combined with a sense of humor that will earn the respect and attention of the organization and community.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, experience with Google Drive and Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required; CFRE and/or Master’s degree preferred.
- Willing and able to travel; must be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends as needed.
As a leading independent Catholic school, Malvern Preparatory School serves 620 boys in grades 6 through 12 and is committed to the Augustinian values of Veritas, Unitas and Caritas, meaning Truth, Unity and Love. Located on a 103-acre campus in the Greater Philadelphia suburb of Malvern, PA, Malvern Prep fosters a radically student-centered approach to learning, and seeks individuals who are innovative, creative and compassionate self-starters who can work collaboratively. Malvern Prep is fully accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools.
Malvern Prep is working to cultivate the next generation of informed leaders and social entrepreneurs. Malvern Prep does this by fostering a learning environment in which students achieve maximum personal development while becoming leaders who serve the Common Good. As an outcome, Malvern Graduates are prepared to actualize their goals and lead with humility and heart.
An Augustinian School, Catholic and Independent, living the Augustinian spirit of Veritas, Unitas, and Caritas, meaning Truth, Unity and Love.
Malvern is dedicated to the pursuit of Truth through academic excellence and the growth of each of its students, so that he is prepared fully for college and for a life of integrity and courageous leadership.
Seeking oneness of mind and heart in the journey toward God, Malvern strives to build a diverse community in which a caring faculty works with parents and students to instill in everyone a personal responsibility for the common good.
Inspired by Christ, the Malvern Tradition invites each individual to grow and give in a family distinguished by respect, challenge, service, and exceptional love.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://www.malvernprep.org/.