The Major Gifts Officer maximizes giving to the school by establishing long-term relationships with a group of assigned, qualified prospects to help them fulfill their passions and interests through their giving to Cardinal O’Hara High School and, in doing so, assures that the school achieves its strategic goals and priorities. The Major Gifts Officer reports directly to the Vice President of Advancement.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of Cardinal O’Hara High School’s history, mission, academic and extracurricular programs and its faculty, students and administration; maintain a thorough understanding of the school’s current priorities and initiatives of the faculty and administration.
- Qualify a group of major gift prospects ($1,000 and above), managing a pool of approximately 125-150. Travel is expected. A variety of gift officer metrics and reports are used to support success, including visits and close rates.
- Create individual goals and a solicitation plan (through Moves Management) for each prospect based on the donor’s history of giving and the school’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Collaborate with the Vice President of Advancement, President and the advancement team to successfully implement Cardinal O’Hara’s comprehensive campaign.
- Prepare reports, briefing materials, correspondence, proposals and related documents for solicitation of major gift prospects.
- Schedule joint visits with the President, volunteers, Board members and others when appropriate.
- Solicit prospects so that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the school and are upgraded in their giving and involvement.
- Support volunteer networks and assist in the identification, recruitment, and training of volunteers as needed.
- Attend and support appropriate alumni and donor engagement events related to assigned responsibilities; including some weekend and evening work.
- Participate in departmental and professional training programs to increase expertise in the profession.
- Perform other major donor activities as may be required.
- An appreciation and passion for Cardinal O’Hara High School and a commitment to promote the mission, values and vision of the school.
- Five (5) or more years of successful major gift fundraising experience, preferably in a nonprofit or educational environment.
- Demonstrated success qualifying major gift prospects combined with the ability and confidence to cultivate, solicit and artfully ask to secure major gifts.
- Proven success creating personal contact and solicitation plans for prospects that takes into account the individual donor’s interest, motivations, giving patterns, capacity and preferences along with the ability to implement that plan in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build, foster and maintain positive relationships with both internal and external constituencies including administrators, faculty, Board, volunteer leadership, students, donors and prospects.
- Superior communication skills which will be utilized to express orally and in writing Cardinal O’Hara’s mission and fundraising goals with passion and persuasion developing effective proposals, presentations and asks.
- Ability to manage people, process deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of Cardinal O’Hara High School.
- Strong work-ethic, self-motivation and stamina, evidence of good judgment, attention to detail, demonstrated personal integrity and a sense of humor.
- Demonstrated aptitude with new and emerging technologies and familiarity with Raisers’ Edge and social media.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Nestled in the heart of Delaware County, Cardinal O’Hara High School has been educating young men and women in our Catholic faith since 1963. Boasting 32,000 alumni around the globe, O’Hara has been home to CEOs, doctors, attorneys, clergy, educators, scientists, entrepreneurs and leaders in other industries. Traditions are a cornerstone of the institution that prides itself on the excellence of our academic, athletic, service and extracurricular programs rooted in the Catholic faith.
Cardinal O’Hara High School will serve as a national Catholic leader in the education, spiritual formation and leadership development of young people.
To develop graduates of character, competence and confidence who are prepared to lead in this world and live forever in the next.
Our vision and mission statements provide the foundation for our aggressive strategic plan. Having successfully completed 55 years of providing an exceptional Catholic educational experience for students in Delaware County – and beyond – we now embark on “the next 55 years.” Responding to the ever-changing worlds of education and technology, the economy and the workplace, and meeting the challenge of society increasingly drifting astray from any moral anchor, O’Hara has set a course for providing a formational experience equal to none. Education, spiritual formation and leadership development are the defining elements. Focusing on the individual growth of each student in these three areas, we will stay true to our mission of developing graduates of character, competence and confidence, and to our vision of serving as a national leader as we set the example for others to emulate. This is the O’Hara way.
For additional information about Cardinal O’Hara, visit www.cohs.com.
Salary commensurate with experience.
For inquiries, nominations, and applications, please contact:
Vice President of Advancement