Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the President/CEO serves as the school’s chief ambassador and governing administrator, with responsibilities focused on strategy, financial sustainability, institutional advancement, organizational structure and community and spiritual leadership.
The President/CEO delegates to the Principal daily responsibilities for academic and co-curricular affairs, school operations, faculty and staff development, student support and parent relations yet maintains a close relationship with the Principal and other academic leaders, staying abreast of and engaged in school operations.
Guided by Christian faith and an educational philosophy that reflects a learning, serving, worshiping and witnessing community, the Cornerstone’s next President/CEO will have the opportunity to lead the school through a new phase of strategic growth and steward its resources and community toward promoting a bountiful and purposeful academic and co-curricular experience.
The major priorities of the next President/CEO will be to:
- Lead with a strategic mindset rooted in the school’s Mission and Vision Statements, Statement of Faith, Philosophy of Education and Statement of Core Values.
- Nurture academic/professional excellence and spiritual growth.
- Cultivate a caring school community on campus and build institutional partnerships to advance the school’s vision, reputation and recognition externally.
- Cast and communicate a vision within and outside of the school community, advancing the school’s reputation and recognition.
- Ensure the school’s financial sustainability, attracting and engaging with a broad community of donors, securing major gifts and supporting annual fundraising.
Strategic Vision and Leadership
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees, develop and implement organizational plans and goals that advance the mission of Cornerstone Christian Academy.
- Provide overall direction, motivation and guidance to school administrators, faculty and support staff; inspiring colleagues to work to their fullest potential, taking the lead role in the creation of a culture of excellence and accountability.
- Direct supervision and evaluation of the Principal, Assistant Principal, Director of Finance and Operations, Human Resources Manager and Advancement Director.
- Set strategic vision for development and enrollment goals and actively participate in advancement.
- Embody, manifest, and advocate Christian principles while embodying a culture that promotes social/emotional wellness and honors all children with Christlike love.
- Effectively communicate with parents and other constituents so that the mission, philosophy, educational goals, and other aspects of the school are clearly articulated.
Institutional Advancement / Board Relations
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of performance against stated milestones and goals.
- Provide to the Board of Trustees various scenarios and possibilities for the Board to consider as it does its work focusing on the strategic future of the school; leading the development and execution of strategic and long-range plans, including major fundraising campaigns and capital improvement projects.
- With the Director of Advancement, develop and administer the Annual Fund and other special fundraising campaigns, being actively engaged in building and maintaining relationships with donors and prospective donors, functioning as a major gifts officer.
- Represent Cornerstone Christian Academy to the school’s external constituencies, including individual donors, businesses, churches and institutional partners, alumni, community organizations and others through off-campus meetings and speaking engagements with existing and new audiences.
- Regularly report to the Board of Trustees on school operations and strategic and long-range plans, providing quarterly reports for the Board of Trustees, staff and stakeholders of the school on Cornerstone Christian Academy’s academic program, school achievements and progress on planned goals.
- Create a highly visible profile and unambiguous identity to help Cornerstone Christian Academy distinguish itself in the marketplace.
- Represent the school to all its constituents including neighborhood, parents, students, faculty, staff, Board, alumni, business community and donors.
Finance / Operations
- Develop and administer, with the Director of Finance and Finance Committee, the annual operating budget.
- Advise and support the Director of Finance and the Director of Human Resources as necessary on the risk management and contractual programs of the school, including faculty and staff annual contracts.
- Advise and support the Director of Human Resources as necessary in developing and executing sound personnel procedures and practices.
- Ensure the safety, security, and well-being of students, faculty, staff, and volunteers.
- Create a campus master plan and oversee the financial status of the school including developing long and short-range financial plans, monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place.
- Supervise the Director of Finance in the preparation of preliminary and final budgets; to monitor income, expenditures, collections, and cash flow; to maintain appropriate financial records; to oversee the employee benefit program.
- Support the selection and hiring of qualified persons to serve as members of the faculty and administration; hold regular meetings of the faculty and staff and ensure that the general policies of the Board are understood and followed.
- Monitor and coordinate matters regarding employment, retention, and dismissal of personnel; salaries and contracts; job assignments performance evaluation, orientation and training.
- Represent the school in its relations with the school district, township, county, Commonwealth, and federal agencies and with local, state, regional, and national educational organizations and accrediting agencies.
- Conduct monthly meetings and regular check-ins with the academic administrators and senior administration.
- Cultivate and support an environment and culture for 21st Century teaching and learning to flourish.
- Ensure that all employees and volunteers comply with the mandates of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania regarding the maintenance of a safe and secure environment, including clearances and mandated reporter training.
- In collaboration with the Principal and Vice Principal monitor all programs of the school including curriculum, grading, testing, and reporting to parents; and disciplinary policies and standards of conduct.
- Ensure that periodic program evaluations take place and reports to external agencies are submitted as required.
- Ensure that Cornerstone Christian Academy provides an environment in which professional development is supported and encouraged for all employees.
The President/CEO must believe in the mission and vision of Cornerstone Christian Academy. The President/CEO must model Christian ideals, work to inspire colleagues and constituents and strive to build a long-term sustainable strategy for the school. The ability to shepherd the school through periods of change while keeping a strategic eye on the importance of responding to the evolving needs of the community with innovative and fiscally responsible programs is essential. The successful candidate will be a relationship builder and visionary thought leader who can productively leverage the contributions of others. The President/CEO will be flexible and compassionate to address the practicalities of a dynamic, urban Christian school, along with the creativity and persistence required to elicit continuing growth. The President/CEO should have the ability to communicate the mission and successes of Cornerstone to the community at large.
- An appreciation and passion for the mission of Cornerstone Christian Academy with a deep-rooted commitment to Christian values.
- Must be a genuinely faith-guided, visionary and strategic leader with an institutional-building mindset and a servant leadership style.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible senior leadership experience; prior nonprofit experience and management in an academic setting preferred.
- Broad knowledge of overall operations of an independent school, including academics, finances, development, admissions, marketing and care and maintenance of school’s physical facilities.
- Visionary and strategic planning capabilities to be applied toward the development of an innovative fundraising program, and the leadership necessary to ensure its successful implementation.
- Ability and willingness to lead in fund development, including identification, cultivation and stewardship of donors.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build, foster and maintain positive relationships with both internal and external constituencies including administrators, faculty, trustees, volunteer leaders, students and donors.
- Ability to articulate a Christian philosophy of education that recognizes the need for appropriate programs to serve a range of students’ needs, interests and enrichment.
- Excellent public speaking skills complemented by a demonstrated ability to interact with diverse personalities and situations with ease and grace.
- Superior communication skills to express, orally and in writing, Cornerstone Christian Academy’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Self-confidence and humility combined with a sense of humor and a collaborative management style.
- Advanced degree in education, organizational leadership, business, fundraising or ministry required.
- Limited travel required; must be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends as needed.
Cornerstone Christian Academy is a faith-based, non-denominational, co-educational, urban Christian school serving children in Kindergarten through 8th grade. Established in 1988, Cornerstone is an ACSI/Middle States-accredited independent school with an annual average enrollment of 180 students. Cornerstone is located in the Kingsessing neighborhood of southwest Philadelphia, among the city’s most economically disadvantaged communities. Through individual and corporate giving, all students receive annual scholarship support of up to 75 percent of tuition. Amid a strong charter-school presence, Cornerstone is committed to being a curriculum-driven, high-performing, technologically proficient school with a strong emphasis on responsive classroom practices and social emotional learning.
Mission and Vision
The mission of Cornerstone Christian Academy is to educate children in an environment that provides the highest standards for academic achievement and spiritual development. The vision of Cornerstone Christian Academy is to be a model urban Christian school where students are grounded in faith, shaped with Christ-like character, and equipped with knowledge and skills to excel in high school, college, and throughout life.
Philosophy of Education
The educational philosophy of Cornerstone Christian Academy reflects our vision of a learning, serving, worshiping and witnessing community that is in partnership with families to develop children to their highest potentials: spiritually, intellectually, physically, emotionally, socially, culturally, and morally (Deuteronomy 6:4-9, Luke 2:40, 52). We believe all children are children of God and that God has a good and hopeful plan for each child (Jeremiah 29:11).
For additional information, please visit their website at https://cornerstonephiladelphia.com/.