Reporting to the Pastors of St. Denis and Annunciation Parishes, the Principal is the spiritual and educational leader of Cardinal Foley School whose responsibility is to uphold a positive atmosphere of learning in an academically rigorous environment. The Principal provides leadership, motivation, and training to the teaching staff on curriculum and instruction, classroom management, and student achievement. Working collaboratively with the Pastors, faculty, staff, students, parents, parish leaders, and other stakeholders, the Principal cultivates an environment that fosters academic excellence, Catholic faith formation, vitality, and viability.
- Provide leadership in establishing and implementing educational goals and objectives for the school.
- Ensure the implementation of a comprehensive curriculum through the use of a variety of educational strategies.
- Create a climate that encourages the engagement of each student in the learning process while fostering a love for learning.
- Provide supervision and professional development for a total staff of 50.
- Be forward thinking with a vision for the future of education.
- Inspire a committed faculty and an engaged student body to form a highly effective learning community inclusive of all stakeholders in the ministry of Catholic education.
- Communicate effectively with parents, parish staff, and community.
- Leverage technology as a communication and education tool.
- Collaborate in the efforts to actively recruit and retain students and qualified teachers.
- Work with school and parish community to support school events, fundraising initiatives (e.g. Annual Fund appeal, Home & School fundraisers), and marketing and enrollment campaigns (e.g. Catholic Schools Week open house, school tours, mailings, social media engagement).
- Manage and maintain school operations including collaborating with the business manager and the Finance Committee on budget management.
- Collaborate with the Advisory Board, Home and School Association, Finance Council, Parish Business Office, community leaders, and other stakeholders.
- Oversee faculty review, analysis, and plan to address the annual standardized tests results with focus on the areas of students’ weaknesses.
- Develop and maintain positive written and verbal communication with the Cardinal Foley community and community at large.
- Assess the general conditions and needs of the building and grounds and report same to the Pastors and/or appropriate personnel.
- Work with custodial and maintenance staff to insure the proper cleanliness, repair, and safety of the building and grounds.
- A practicing Catholic with an appreciation and passion for the mission of Catholic education and Cardinal Foley School along with a deep-rooted commitment to Catholic faith and teachings.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in education with a proven track record in achieving academic success; experience in a Catholic school preferred.
- Dynamic leader with skills in curriculum implementation, promotion of Catholic faith formation, team building, faculty supervision and development, parental engagement, school safety practices, and effective elementary school management.
- Strong understanding of child growth and development.
- Faith-filled, visionary, and strategic leader with an institution-building mindset.
- Broad understanding of school operations including budget management and financial statements.
- Understanding of marketing, enrollment, and development and the tools and strategies needed to foster school viability.
- Demonstrated organizational and supervisory skills that will motivate and inspire staff while setting high expectations and professional direction.
- Knowledge of accreditation and certification processes.
- Strong interpersonal skills, drive, and integrity with demonstrated ability to build, foster, and maintain positive relationships with both internal and external constituencies, including faculty, staff, board members, volunteers, students, and families.
- Superior communication skills to express, orally and in writing, Cardinal Foley’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Self-confidence, humility, integrity, warmth, and a flexible personal style.
- Proficient in technology and the use of technology in instruction.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; other certifications as required by the Office of Catholic Education.
- Limited regional travel required; must be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends as needed.
Cardinal John Foley Regional Catholic School is a grade school within the Archdiocese of Philadelphia for boys and girls in Pre-K3 through 8th grade. In 2012, the regional school was established with the merging of two parish schools in Havertown, Annunciation BVM and St. Denis. With an enrollment of 446 students, Cardinal Foley provides students a strong academic and Catholic faith foundation rooted in the Mercy traditions. The school’s atmosphere promotes spiritual, academic, social, and emotional growth. Students learn from a young age the value of serving and treating others with dignity. The teachers and staff are dedicated and committed to Catholic Education. All thirty-three teachers hold a Bachelor’s degree and forty-five percent hold a Master’s degree.
Cardinal Foley School was named a 2019 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. This program, which is a part of the U.S. Department of Education, annually recognizes outstanding public and non-public schools for high student achievement or incremental academic progress.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://cardinalfoley.org/.