Reporting to the President, the Upper School Principal communicates the philosophy, mission, and vision of the Academy, emphasizing the centrality of Ursuline core values and the heritage of St. Angela Merici. The Upper School Principal is responsible for the overall management, spiritual and instructional leadership, and supervision of the Upper School. The Upper School Principal provides inspiration, motivation, training, and support to the teaching staff on curriculum and instruction, classroom management, and student achievement.
- Sets the climate and culture of the Upper School; maintains a visible presence and serves as the strategic and academic leader of the Upper School.
- Fosters collegiality and team building among staff members; supports the Academy and its leaders.
- Serve as the strategic team leader for all Upper School faculty and staff including Athletic Director, Director of College Counseling, Director of Global Education, and Coordinator of Heritage and Mission.
- Recruits and retains talented faculty and staff who will maintain the culture of excellence and achievement.
- Collaborates with faculty and staff to build a common vision for the Academy and empowers them to execute and implement that vision.
- Organizes and manages projects to achieve the goals and initiatives outlined in the strategic plan.
- Embraces and upholds the traditions of Ursuline Academy, while supporting growth, change, and academic innovation.
- Defines expectations for staff with regard to instructional strategies, classroom management, and communication with the community.
- Observes employee performance, conducts staff and faculty evaluations, provides feedback, support, and advocacy.
- As a member of senior management, contributes to decisions and strategies that guide the entire school.
School Operations and Academics
- Maintains a safe, healthful environment within the Academy for both the students and staff.
- Provides adequate safety instruction and drills and assigns members of the staff to assume specified responsibilities.
- Establishes and communicates expectations for staff and students and holds the school community accountable for high-level performance.
- Prepares Academy master programs and schedules, and makes staff assignments.
- Provides instructional resources and materials to support teaching staff in accomplishing instructional goals. Consistently works to improve instruction and student achievement.
- Oversees the operations of athletics and all extra-curricular activities.
- Ensures compliance with legal requirements and government regulations.
- Ensures proper and thorough record-keeping.
- Oversees and assists in the admissions process for evaluating applicants and communicates program value proposition to potential students and families.
- Develops the annual Upper School budget and ensures that spending stays within those limits.
- Communicates with faculty regarding ongoing resources needed to implement innovative academic programming.
- Presents the need for additional equipment and supplies to the President, the Advancement office, or the Finance office.
- Develops an open line of communication with parents and works with them in partnership.
- Has a positive attitude with children, parents, and colleagues.
- Attends and participates in all major fundraisers and social events of the Upper School.
- Maintains a rapport with the Diocese of Wilmington.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times regarding the Ursuline community.
- Attends all required meetings and willing to perform all other duties as assigned.
- Contributes by personal example to an atmosphere of faith commitment in a manner consistent with Catholic values and the founder St. Angela Merici.
- Respects, cooperates, and maintains a positive attitude with colleagues (faculty and staff), students, parents, and alumnae and exemplifies the core values.
The ideal candidate will be a student-centered thought leader who will continue the Catholic education mission in the Ursuline Sisters tradition. The Upper School Principal is a visible, supportive, and accessible presence, known and respected by the Ursuline community. The Upper School Principal will be an excellent listener and communicator, kind, loving, and respecting all people. The Upper School Principal will exhibit a passion for learning, a commitment to academic excellence, and the ability to champion the unique global perspective that an Ursuline education offers.
- Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible leadership experience in an educational environment including teaching and administration with a proven track record in achieving academic success. Experience in Catholic school preferred.
- A faith-filled visionary and a practicing Catholic.
- Dynamic leader with skills in curriculum implementation, instruction, team building, faculty supervision and development, parental engagement, school safety practices, and effective school management.
- Ability to evaluate instructional programs and teaching effectiveness.
- Knowledge of school operations including budget management, financial reports, and standards of accreditation and certification processes.
- Ability to interpret policy, procedures, and data.
- Understanding of marketing, enrollment, and development and the tools and strategies needed to foster school viability.
- Demonstrated organizational, supervisory, and delegation skills that will motivate and inspire staff while maintaining accountability, setting high expectations and professional direction.
- Strong interpersonal skills, drive, and integrity with demonstrated ability to build, foster, and maintain positive relationships with both internal and external constituencies, including faculty, staff, board members, volunteers, students, and families.
- Superior public relations and communication skills to express, orally and in writing, Ursuline Academy’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Self-confidence, humility, integrity, warmth, a flexible personal style, and a sense of humor.
- Proficient in technology and the use of technology in instruction.
- Master’s degree in education or administration required.
- Limited regional travel required; must be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends as needed.
Founded in 1893 by the Ursuline Sisters, Ursuline Academy of Wilmington, Delaware, is an independent, Catholic, college-preparatory school comprised of four academic branches: Early Childhood, Lower School, Middle School, and Upper School.
Ursuline Academy’s Upper School empowers young women to discover and employ their unique talents as leaders and global citizens. Supported by a liberal arts and science foundation, Ursuline’s curriculum provides the most relevant, effective, and proven teaching practices, which spark passion and encourage collaboration.
Infused with the spirit of St. Angela Merici, the motto is Serviam, meaning “I will serve.” Students learn to adapt, empathize, and serve with resilience. Ursuline Academy is committed to helping young women grow spiritually in a faith-based community.
Every student is provided with opportunities and support to find their unique voice. Through global education, a leadership and innovation curriculum, STEM, arts, athletics, and clubs, students become confident, young women – leaders who will make an everlasting mark on the world. Ursuline graduates are known for being accomplished and innovative. Ursuline alumnae have saved lives in war zones, founded life-changing judicial courts for those in need, and led presidential campaigns. Some have even advanced technology companies into global prominence.
At Ursuline, every young woman is embraced into the lifelong bonds of sisterhood. Students often remark how they feel a deep level of trust knowing that they can always count on their sisters to be there for them, no matter what. This strong sisterhood, one that unifies and includes every student, is what makes Ursuline so special.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://www.ursuline.org/.