The Vice President of Development for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley (“chapter”) reports to the President & CEO. He/she is a key member of the Foundation’s senior leadership team,working closely with the President & CEO, the Vice President & COO, the Vice President of Mission Delivery, the Board of Directors and the entire development staff to secure the funds needed to advance the mission of the Make-A-Wish Foundation in the Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley region.
As lead strategist and fundraiser for the chapter’s fund development, he/she will create and execute a multi-year plan for increasing voluntary revenue, which informs and supports the chapter’s plans for aggressive growth. He/she is also responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies and partnerships to advance the chapter’s position with relevant constituents, to broaden awareness of the chapter.
- Serve as lead fundraiser.
- Grow annual revenue through individual giving, corporate and event fundraising.
- Oversee the chapter’s development team.
- Expand the existing development program by further diversifying revenue sources.
- Develop and steward donor relationships to increase the base of support from current and potential donors.
- Identify and build relationships with all sources that are viable for developing partnerships in the business community.
- Work with the President and CEO as well as with individual Board members, as appropriate, to best cultivate relationships.
- Design and implement a comprehensive development plan and fundraising program, including benchmarks and evaluation procedures, focusing on a continued evolution toward major donor driven fundraising, including an optimal combination of annual giving, multiple-year sustained giving, planned giving, workplace giving, endowments, individual and corporate giving, grants and events.
- Reach fundraising goals employing economy while maintaining an appropriate quality level to maximize ROI.
- Serve as chapter liaison to National Office regarding development issues and opportunities and comprehensive donor stewardship.
- Provide comprehensive leadership, accountability and mentoring to the development team as a group and individually.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit large major gifts personally and prepare President & CEO and Board members to solicit major gifts.
- Work in concert with appropriate volunteer community leaders and professional staff to coordinate successful strategic and tactical plans.
- Collaborate with the President and CEO and Board members to manage and encourage Board member individual development plans and to leverage members’ networks and experience.
- Assist in the development of an annual operating budget and maintain timely reports for the President & CEO and Board of Directors.
- Attend all major chapter events and appropriate volunteer and donor recognition/ stewardship events.
- Identify and communicate to chapter leadership all potential opportunities and/or relationships that will increase the chapter’s ability to raise funds and grant wishes.
- Identify challenges and recommend solutions to senior leadership team, balancing competing priorities and working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Adhere to all Make-A-Wish Foundation of America performance standards and chapter internal controls, policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Vice President of Development must believe in the mission and vision of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He/She must model integrity, work to inspire colleagues and constituents and strive to build an effective team. The VP will be a relationship builder and visionary thought leader who can productively leverage contributions of others. The successful candidate will be flexible and compassionate to address the practicalities of a growing nonprofit, along with the creativity and persistence required to elicit new thinking and change.
- Appreciation and passion for the mission and vision of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible positions in nonprofit fundraising, including experience managing a department or team.
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operational, and a demonstrated ability to build, manage, mentor and positively motivate an effective team.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated success with all aspects of philanthropy: major gifts, capital campaigns, planned giving, endowment giving, annual giving, special events, constituent engagement and strategic goal-setting.
- Successful experience raising principal or major gifts from individuals and institutional sources with an organization that has a reputation for strategic thinking and operational excellence.
- Strategic planning and decision-making capabilities based on research, analysis and sound judgment to be applied toward the development of an innovative advancement program with the leadership necessary to ensure its successful implementation.
- Proven success in building and engaging a Board, setting standards of accountability and monitoring performance results.
- Highly professional and the ability to work successfully with a wide variety of constituents including donors, Board members, corporate leaders, community leaders, agency leaders, volunteers and professional consultants.
- Experience in negotiating partnerships, strategic alliances and collaborations especially with unusual or first-time partnerships.
- Superior communication skills to express, orally and in writing, Make-A-Wish’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Emotionally mature with a very good sense of humor and the flexibility and sensitivity to work with diverse personalities and situations.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, to manage multiple priorities and to work in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent public speaking skills complemented by a demonstrated ability to interact in a social setting with ease and grace.
- High-energy self-starter who can think strategically, analytically, and entrepreneurially.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Raiser’s Edge database management software.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Nonprofit Fundraising or related field preferred.
- Willing and able to travel regionally and to be available to attend events after work hours or on weekends.
The mission of Make-A-Wish is: Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. Founded in 1980 when a group of caring volunteers helped a young boy fulfill his dream of becoming a police officer, Make-A-Wish is one of the world’s leading children’s charities with 60 chapters in the United States and its territories. With the help of generous donors and more than 35,000 volunteers, Make-A-Wish grants a wish every 34 minutes and has granted over 300,000 wishes in the US since inception.
Since 1986, Make-A-Wish Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley has fulfilled more than 6,500 transformational wishes and projects fulfilling 365 wishes this year alone. A wish come true helps children feel stronger, more energetic, and more willing and able to battle their critical illnesses. Make-A-Wish accepts referrals from parents, guardians, medical professionals such as doctors, nurses, social workers, and child-life specialists. With a recent territory expansion into the entire state of Delaware, our chapter now serves the following 13 counties: Bucks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lebanon, Montgomery, Perry, Philadelphia in Pennsylvania, and New Castle, Kent and Sussex in Delaware.
For additional information about Make-A-Wish Philadelphia, Delaware & Susquehanna Valley, please visit philadesv.wish.org.