Reporting to the President and serving as a member of Nazareth Academy’s Executive Team, the Director of Development is responsible for overall leadership and management of all fundraising programs undertaken by the Academy, including annual fund, major gifts program, planned giving, and any future capital campaigns. The Director will develop prospect research and compile information in donor portfolios while developing effective engagement and solicitation strategies. This individual will steward donors throughout the major giving process, emphasizing gifts of $10,000 or greater. The Director will work closely with the President, board members, and staff leaders to coordinate and execute long-term fundraising initiatives.
- Lead a fundraising program that includes the Nazareth Fund, major giving, foundation grants, planned giving, corporate support/gifts, Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC), Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC), special events, and capital campaigns.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with a wide range of donors, funders, and volunteers.
- Create and implement research and strategies to identify, prioritize, cultivate, solicit, recognize, and steward all prospects and donors.
- Develop and establish short- and long-range goals and objectives for all aspects of the development program in consultation with the President, Board of Trustees, and Development Committee.
- Plan, manage, and implement a development program that will attract the maximum gift support possible to the Academy to meet the needs of the operating budget, endowment, and facility needs.
- Develop and manage an integrated plan for the Nazareth Fund to increase donor engagement through solicitations, direct mail appeals, giving societies, and digital appeals.
- Implement a plan to increase participation in each of the donor constituencies: alumnae, parents, friends, faculty, and grandparents.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of major and planned giving donors to discover, cultivate, solicit, and steward through the major gifts process.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of businesses to discover, cultivate, solicit, and steward through the process of soliciting a gift for the EITC and/or OSTC Programs.
- Facilitate relationships between current and prospective donors and the President, Board members, Development Committee members, and others as appropriate.
- Articulate annual fundraising goals and evaluate development goals, as well as the effectiveness of the program on an annual basis.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications to produce fundraising materials, give input on the Development/Alumni sections of the website, and coordinate fundraising communications including the Annual Report.
- Work with the Director of Alumnae Relations and Development Services to coordinate efforts in supporting alumnae, maintaining alumnae events that impact fundraising, and processing gifts.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to welcome new families and to educate both prospective and current families on the opportunities available to support the Academy.
- Work collaboratively with volunteer committees to coordinate special projects and events.
- Build and sustain an effective partnership with the Board of Trustees, President, and Executive Team to ensure that advancement goals are integrated into the overall school’s strategic goals and ensure that the development program obtains the necessary resources to achieve the Academy’s goals.
- Participate as a member of the Executive Team of the Academy and, in that capacity, perform duties as assigned by the President.
- Remain current on fundraising best practices, tax laws, and IRS rulings which affect charitable giving.
- Adhere to Nazareth Academy High School’s policies and procedures.
The Director of Development must believe in the mission and vision of Nazareth Academy High School. Reporting directly to the President, the Director of Development will identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors to advance the mission of Nazareth Academy from all constituencies including the Board of Trustees, committee members, faculty and staff, alumnae, current parents, past parents, foundations, corporations, and other members of the community at large. The Director’s focus will be on building a culture of philanthropy throughout the school community. The Director will be responsible for identifying, researching, and spearheading the implementation of a diverse and multifaceted fundraising program to support the school’s strategic vision, cultivating a culture of giving and gratitude across all constituencies.
- Minimum of five (5) years of proven experience with prospect development, solicitation strategies, and frontline fundraising along with a track record of successful cultivation and solicitation of high-level donors.
- Broad exposure to all facets of development, including annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, corporate and foundation relations, events, capital campaigns, and data management and analysis.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting gifts from individuals, meeting annual fund goals, enlisting sponsorships, and planning special events.
- Proven experience developing solicitation strategies and a track record of success cultivating, soliciting, and closing major gifts.
- A team player and team builder that has a passion for and commitment to achieving excellence in all aspects of Nazareth Academy’s mission while fostering a high level of respect for colleagues.
- Ability to engage the President, Board members, volunteers, and others in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
• Must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated energetic and service-oriented approach to promoting the institutional advancement needs.
- Superior communication skills to express, orally and in writing, Nazareth Academy’s mission, vision, and goals with clarity, passion, and persuasion.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office; experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases; Raiser’s Edge preferred.
- Experience with fundraising best practices and donor databases for managing donor and solicitation records.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred and CFRE valued.
- Hold and maintain a valid driver’s license to attend meetings, conferences, trainings, and other events and the ability to work evenings, weekends, and during holidays as needed.
Nazareth Academy High School is a Catholic, private, fully-accredited, college preparatory school for young women, sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. Young women who attend Nazareth live out the school’s mission each day by embracing faith, family, and education as they are challenged to reach their full potential academically, spiritually, and personally. While focusing on service to God and others, Nazareth offers a rigorous academic curriculum and varied extracurricular activities that provide an unrivaled comprehensive experience.
With a student-to-faculty ratio of 8:1 and an average class size of 15 students, Nazareth is dedicated to an individualized educational approach. The close relationship and rapport that develop between students and faculty encourage learning that fosters critical thinking skills, strong written and oral communication skills, creativity, collaboration, and self-confidence.
Through the co-curricular and extracurricular programs at Nazareth, young women engage in hands-on, interactive experiences that allow them to both explore and enhance their talents. With a state-of-the-art Innovation Center, more than 40 clubs, 12 athletic teams, and 10 performing arts groups, Nazareth empowers its students to develop their interests and become lifelong learners in a global society.
During the 2017-2018 school year, Nazareth implemented the President Principal Model and Denise LePera was installed as Nazareth Academy’s first President. Over the last 6 school years, the financial position of the school has been strengthened by making intentional, strategic, and prudent decisions. Academic, student life, and student services programs have been enhanced while remaining mission-focused and student-centered.
For additional information, please visit their website at https://www.nazarethacademyhs.org/.